Thursday, April 2, 2009

God Made the Cowboy
By William Guthrie

The boots may be dusty
and the heels all run down,
but that's just 'cause
he ain't had time to run into town.
His hat's all grimey from sweat
but he'll tell you it's the
best one he's had yet.

That creaky old saddle
fits his backside just right
and the riata he uses
holds a dally real tight.
Speakin' of ropin' and ridin,'
aw, that's just tricks of the trade,
and he'll tell you no time's much better
than when roundup's been made.

Bein' a cowboy ...
well, it's not just a craze,
you can't find his spirit
in a thick, barroom haze.
It comes from the heart,
from the body and soul
and it cannot be lost
by just growin' old!

The spirit of the cowboy
flies on freedoms wings,
it dances on rain clouds,
drinks from fresh springs.
Why, he'll dance the two-step
with a big, toothy smile,
but, he'll ride for six hours
to keep from walkin' a mile.

Cowboys all over,
got just one thing to say:
"just leave us alone,
let us go our own way.
But if you need some help
defendin' your land,
just give up a holler
we'll come lend a hand!"

Yep. God made the cowboy,
not Gucci blue jeans.
He made the wild bull rider,
not buckin' machines.
He made sunsets and clover,
the stars up above,
ladies and hawses, wide open spaces ...
for a cowboy to love.








Last weekend my girls and I helped Papa brand 1/3 of his calves – what a fun time we all had, especially Jeslyn. Jauncee was kind of scared at first, but it didn’t last too long! The crew consisted of: Papa, Grandma, Judd, Jake, Braxton, Jordan, myself and my girls! What great help everybody was.










Papa ear marks all of his cows so of course he had to cut a bit of the calves ears off, Jauncee thought that was cruel, but Jeslyn was excited because now she had souvenirs to collect and give to her dad when she sees him. (I sure wish I could have seen his reaction when she told him she had a surprise for him – a brown ear and a black ear, but there not bloody dad, she said!) She is too cute, needless to say I found them in my house on the table – let’s just hope that she or he doesn’t ask for them!









I just want to tell you thank you daddy for all that you do for me and my girls. I am so glad that we have the opportunity to enjoy the farm and the ranch. All your hard work has truly paid off! I am so proud of you and admire everything about you. And mother dear – oh how I love and appreciate the sweet, caring person that you are! I hope my girls take a little more after you than I did! You definitely are the best of the best. – Much love to you both from us 3 girls!

PS – We can’t wait until next year!


No comments: