Monday, June 6, 2011

Calving Season; Its not just work, it's a lifestyle!

Bringing calves into the world is time-intensive and sometimes stressful but the results of a healthy, active calf are well worth all the work.

This spring has been wet and cold to say the least…I can’t quite figure out why there is talk of global warming when it seems to be so much colder and for longer periods than I ever remember it being. I wish we actually had a spring instead of what seems like a really long winter. With that said…I am rather disappointed in the amount of pictures I have for this past calving season… the wet cold snowy weather didn’t make for pleasurable conditions for a baby. I think Clay and I got to go out once maybe twice. My hubby is great at most things…but he didn’t do a very good job at packing the camera out and about with him :)!

Jauncee was the calving trooper this year. The second she would see Dirk pull in the driveway she would run and get on all of her snow clothes. It didn’t matter the weather, she always wanted to go. I don’t think she missed out on tagging many calves and of course enjoyed every bit of it. I love that she is so ambitious and enjoys being outside no matter the weather.







We only had one calf that we got to bottle feed this year and for only a few times. Jes had the honors. I don’t think the calf made it…he was sick from the start.

I was informed last night that this calf is very alive and is doing well. It's mama had to big of teets in the beginning to latch on.




Align Center



These particular pictures are from a Sunday afternoon which started out sunny. In a matter of 10-15 minutes we were in a full on blizzard! Clay didn’t seem to mind he was snuggled up in his coat and nestled in my arms asleep…the 4-wheeler always seems to do that to him.























Calving season is always fun and sometimes anxiously anticipated…it’s fun to watch and see the outcomes of all the pairings. One never knows just what they might get!

No comments: