Tuesday, September 6, 2011

AI

AI – Artificial Insemination is also an annual event that takes place every spring. Only this is a task that 100% relies upon Dirk, his know how and his schedule. (Note to self: learn how to AI, so I can be of more help) We actually help out where we can, but wish we could ease the burden just a little.

AI allows for an enormous range of options in the bulls that you use. Bulls are listed in catalogs/directories and their pedigrees and EPD’s are provided to help with the selection. EPD’s – Expected Progeny Differences are used to estimate how future progeny of an animal will compare to progeny of other animals within the breed.


Jes on Bollow, ready to gather in the herd.


Dirk's right hand help!


To facilitate AI-ing, proper working facilites are a must, it eases stress and helps to prevent injury of all involved. This year we weren’t able to get the Genex portable breeding barn so we opted for a single Select Sire barn instead. So we made a mad dash to Corinne to pick it up.





Heat Detection is the most limiting factor of an AI program. The cow or heifer must be seen in standing heat or active Estrus, this is indicated by an altered behavior. Standing heat occurs every 18-24 days, and lasts for 10-14 hours. Timing is imperative when AI-ing a cow, to achieve the highest rate of conception, a cow seen standing in the AM will be AI-ed in the PM, and if seen in the PM will be AI-ed in the AM. This is done because the cow ovulates after standing heat. This year we opted to synchronize the herd which is a manipulation of the reproductive process which offers benefits. It reduces the need to detect active estrus and allows Dirk to schedule breeding activities in a predetermined period. It should also shorten the breeding and calving season. I am certain there are more benefits but my knowledge is somewhat limited. I am however learning.







Next is the “semen process”. Semen is stored in a plastic straw and straws are stored inside of a cane. Canes are suspended in a canister which is inside a liquid nitrogen tank. The liquid nitrogen keeps the temperature of the semen at -320F. When preparing the semen for AI-ing a cow, the canister is lifted to the neck of the tank the selected cane is lifted and a straw is removed within seconds from the cane and deposited into a warm water bath that is 90-98 degrees, and left for 45 – 60 seconds. It is then fitted into a sheath; the sheath is then fitted into an insemination rod. Usually the rod is tucked into Dirks clothing for transport to the cow. Insemination should occur within minutes of the semen being thawed.







This part of the process, I need to learn more about. From my visual observation the outside of the cow’s reproductive tract is wiped clean, the gloved arm is inserted into the rectum and the cervix is grasped. The insemination rod is then introduced into the vagina and passed through the cervix into the uterus. It is then and there that the semen is deposited. Like I said my knowledge is very limited my interest level is definitely peaked.


















AI is a complex way of breeding cattle but the benefits are great. Success requires attention to detail in all areas of herd management. Thanks to my awesome hubby and his skill we are able to offer an improved quality of cattle to our customers.






Had to put one in of our cute lil guy. He looks so young here.


Once we finished the long day of breeding, we loaded a semi with half the herd and headed to Victor. I think we left about 7 pm. Of course it was dark when we got there and had to unload. There wasn’t even a sliver of moonlight. My job was to head them off of the road into the pasture as they came off the truck. I was nervous I was going to let them get by and let me tell you, they were hard to see! I did have a flashlight for about 2 minutes until it decided to die on me. I got along fine and only “lost” one calf for a minute. We watched with flashlights for the herd to pair up and then headed home. We got home sometime after 2 am. My poor sweetheart had to be up by 4 and start turnaround – 12 hour days for 21 days straight! I am glad we all survived and hope next year is a little calmer.

Finally, I am getting a little caught up…now on to the summertime! I hope to have it all entered by summer’s end…September 23! I better get to work!



No comments: