Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Independence Day

I can't believe how behind I am on posting! I had really good intentions of catching up prior to the baby, then at the busiest time...when I needed my computer the most...the hard drive went bad. 6 weeks later I am back up and running. Of course I couldn't leave everyone in suspense, so I opted to post out of order debuting our little angel Tanna. In an attempt to get caught up, the next several posts will be short and sweet with the pictures mostly speaking for themselves.

Independence Day (and the day before and after)


I love the 4th of July! 
I am grateful for all of our freedoms that we enjoy daily. 
I will forever be grateful for those brave men and women who fought and fight to keep our freedoms in tact. 
One of the greatest reminders we have is the American Flag.
The Flag is one of my favorite things. I have such a deep love and respect for "Old Glory". This love began at the very young age of 11, when I was in 6th grade. We were required to interview someone who fought in World War II. I chose to visit with my Grandpa Turner. As grandchildren, we never heard grandpa talk about his service. It wasn't something he discussed much or liked to think about. I don't remember much from our conversation, I do however, remember the love that he had for the flag, which he shared with me in detail. It left such an impression on me. I left that day with a greater understanding and love for the symbolism and meaning of the "Star Spangled Banner". My grandma Turner also played a role in that too. She was the Postmaster in Kanosh. Part of her daily duties were flying and retiring the flag. As I watched her retire the flag on a few occasions in the evening, I saw the love and respect that she had for the flag and our country. She always took such care, following the guidelines as outlined to a T. Folding the flag properly, never allowing it to touch the ground, then safely putting it away in the safe to stay until it was to  fly again tomorrow. She taught me the importance and care one must take in handling such an important piece of history. 

I am grateful to have been taught by two very important people in my life. I hope to pass on my love for"Old Glory" to my children. As my grandparents did to me.

My favorite part of Independence Day is the Flag waving freely.

****
July 3rd, we attended the Foam Party at the park in Soda. On the way there Dakota fell asleep, so she missed out on all the fun.








 

It was extremely hot that day, so I was glad when Clay was ready to go!

Our next stop was Harding's pasture where we have the heifers. We needed to check them as well as cut-out the bull Dixon and bring him home. Clay helped out with this adventure.



The next morning we attended the parade in Soda, had lunch in the park and rode on a few rides. Then we headed home to pack for our overnight camping trip.










Later that evening we headed up to Mill Creek Canyon and found a perfect spot for the next 24 hours.





  

  

We had such a fun time! We only forgot 2 items...the air mattress and griddle! Luckily we were able to make due. The next morning we got up and took the ranger out exploring the mountain range. It was beautiful and fun. The perfect little getaway. 
 On our way home, we made a stop at Dekays where we had a small group of cows summering.
It was a good thing we did because the fence required a little bit of work 
Good thing we had such awesome help!










No comments: