Monday, December 5, 2011

EISF

I should be having Jeslyn write this post…but since I am so behind and determined to get caught up by the end of the year, I had better not wait on her.

Eastern Idaho State Fair held their Open Market Steer Classic Show on Wednesday, September 7th, where Jeslyn and Ceasar were competing for Grand Champion. The day started out early as usual and since it was an Open Show, she would be competing against contestants of all ages. We arrived in Blackfoot as early as they would allow. Hoping to give Ceasar enough time to settle in and rest from the haul there. I knew it was going to be a long day trying to contain Clay to the stroller. After a couple hours of checking out all the exhibits, Jauncee and I were hot, tired, & in dire need of some shade. We searched around for awhile and finally scored a big canopy all to our selves! So we decided to relax for a bit and hopefully get Clay Boy down for a nap.









. He had other things in mind. But at least it was a place for him to scoot around without manure and everything else. After an hour of relaxing, I figured we had better check on Jes and Dirk to see if they needed any help





Instead we found them a bit ahead of the game with a little time to spare so we decided to check out the amusement park. Wow, tickets for these rides are extremely expensive! But we bought a few anyway and headed for the carousel.







Jeslyn opted for the flying swings. I didn’t capture the moment because she was going around too fast, and I was a little worried she was going to lose one of her muck boots on the crowd of people below. It was comical and fun to watch the excitement on her face. That was all she had time for so her and Dirk headed back to fit Ceasar for the show. Jauncee used up the rest of the tickets and of course she thought she needed more but never really quite convinced me to buy some. By the time we walked back to the barn Clay had finally fallen asleep…hallelujah! Jes and Dirk were busy and Jauncee and I observed them in action.








The show was about to start so Clay, Jauncee and I went in to watch. Usually a show lasts a couple hours, but not with this particular judge. I think total the show lasted maybe 35 minutes. It was unbelievable how quick he went through the cattle. I, as a parent of a participant saw all the hard work that went in to preparing for the show that day and well, I felt somewhat cheated. Jeslyn came up short and got 4th in her class.












Although we all love to win, it’s the “not winning” that helps us grow as a person and challenges us to learn and improve our skills. If we never stumbled or failed, not much would ever change. Jeslyn learned an important skill…to lose gracefully and to be proud of and to congratulate the winners. Failing is usually necessary for success. I hope she will embrace it, learn from it, grow, and that is when a person truly wins.

No comments: